Apply now for the ESSO Training Fellowship: the next deadline is 31st October 2017!
The ESSO Education Committee offers trainees in Surgical Oncology the possibility to visit a specialist centre outside of their own country, helping them to expand their experience and learn new techniques.
The aim is to:
- Allow young surgeons to visit a specialist centre outside of their own country,
- Help them expand their experience and learn new techniques.
The Education and Training Committee grants two types of fellowships each year:
- 8 Standard training fellowships (value 2.000 EUR): from 1 to 3 months
- 1 Major training fellowship (value 10.000 EUR): from 4 to 12 months
The ETC Fellowship reserves the right to split the major fellowship if 2 candidates are judged to be of equal merit.
The following apply to both types of fellowships:
• The traineeship period should occur within one year following the deadline for application.
• The fellowship position must NOT be salaried.
• The fellowship must take place in a country other than the applicant’s current place of training.
All successful fellows will be expected to write a report about their experience and provide a testimonial and pictures for publication on the ESSO website within 3 months of return from the fellowship.
The successful applicant of the Major Fellowship will further be invited to give an oral presentation at the next ESSO congress.
Who can apply?
• Applicants must be a specialist, trainee or junior doctor with a declared intention of specialising in a sub-specialty of surgical oncology (breast, upper GI, hepatobiliary and pancreatic, colorectal, endocrine, head and neck, thoracic, skin cancer and melanoma, gynaecology, urology, sarcoma)
• Applicants must be or become ESSO members before the start date of the award
• Applicants must be younger than 40 years of age or be in a training grade
• Both European and non-European citizens can apply. European applicants may choose to visit European or non-European units, while non-European applicants must choose to visit a European centre
• Previous Fellowship recipients will be ineligible to apply for a second award
How to apply?
Applications must be submitted in English only and include the following information:
• A completed curriculum vitae application form
• A motivation letter describing the applicant’s area of interest, research plan and reasons behind the visit
• A letter of support from their Head of Department
• A letter of invitation from the Head of the Department they wish to visit
• A proposal budget sheet estimating how the funds will be spent
When to apply?
The application process will be open very soon.
Please click here to access the host hospital/institutions/cancer centres registry.
In 2015, the major fellowship (10.000 EUR) was granted to:
Dr. Jacopo Desiderio (IT) from Saint Mary's Hospital of Terni, University of Perugia, Department of Digestive Surgery, to visit the City of Hope National Medical Center Duarte, Department of Gastrointestinal Minimally Invasive Therapies, CA, USA.
The 8 standard fellowships (2.000 EUR each) were granted to:
- Biborka Bereczki (HU) from Dubai Hospital, Department of General Surgery, to visit Florence Nightingale Hospital Sisli, Department of Hepatopancreaticobiliary surgery and liver transplantation, Istanbul, Turkey
- Eugeniu Darii (RO) from Puls Hospital, Medical Center, Surgical department, Targu Mures, Romania, to visit The Royal Marsden Hospital, London.
- Beatrix Elsberger (DE) from the University of Dundee, UK, to visit the Royal Melbourne Women’s Hospital, Australia
- Hasan Hakan Erem (TK) from Gumussuyu Military Hospital, Balmuncu General Surgery, Besiktas-Istanbul, Turkey, to visit The Sahlgrenska Academy Hospitals, University of Gothenburg, SE
- Janina Huguenin (BR) from Salus Clinic, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to visit Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
- Andrea Karakatsanis (GR) from Uppsala University Hospital, Sweden, to visit The Royal Marsden Hospital, London, United Kingdom
- Michael Eamon Kelly (IRL) from St. Vincents' University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland, to visit St Mark’s Hospital, Imperial College London, United Kingdom
- Francesco Ferrara (IT) from “Le Scotte” University Hospital, University of Siena, Italy, to visit Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Barcelona, Spain
"My experience at Hospital Sant Pau in Barcelona was very successful in terms of clinical, surgical and scientific work. Francesco Ferrara (IT)