ESSO Fellowship in Breast Surgery
The objective of the ESSO Breast Surgical Oncology Fellowship is to provide subspecialist education to surgeons who wish to have further specialised training in the multi-modality clinical care specific to the breast patient and a deeper training in breast cancer research.
The fellowship consists of at least 12 months of continuous education and training following successful completion of a residency program leading to board eligibility.
Mandatory educational activities
At least 8 months devoted to training in breast surgery, including formal rotations on surgical and non-surgical breast services.
- Participation in 50 operative procedures (as surgeon or first assistant). The experience should include diagnostic biopsies, partial mastectomies, mastectomies, axillary node dissections, sentinel node biopsies and reconstructive procedures. And oncoplastic procedures
- Clinical rotations including non-surgical breast services are: breast imaging, genetics, pathology, medical oncology, radiation therapy, and research. These formal rotations should be completed with the fellow’s participation in structured multidisciplinary conferences (MDT) and attendance to subspecialty tumour clinics.
- Attendance to conferences, lectures, debate series, journal clubs and multidisciplinary case conferences. This didactic experience should include not only clinical breast problems but also transnational science, clinical research and ethical problems.
- Part of the programme must be devoted to clinical or laboratory research. Clinical must include the design of clinical protocols, the recruitment of patients for clinical trials and the participation in an investigative project.
- Attendance to at least two ESSO Courses on breast cancer surgery (free registration fee).
- Participation in the EBSQ exam
Click here for more detailed information about the objectives of the fellowship and the mandatory activities to be carried out.
A fellowship position is now open at Guy's Hospital (London, UK). Please click here for further information about this position and about funding. Deadline for application is 1st July 2017 and the starting date will be 2nd January 2018.
You can apply if you
- Hold Board Certified General Surgeon or Gynecology in your country
- Are GMC registered
- Hold a current license to practice as a general surgeon and/or gynaecologist
- Are an ESSO member
- Have a good level of English
If you wish to apply, please send the following documents (in a single PDF document) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Curricculum vitae including biographical data and graduate and postgraduate education
- Motivation letter describing your interest in breast cancer training and your academic interests
- Supporting letter from the Chairman with who you have spent the chief residency
- Supporting letter from two of your supervising staff doctors
An administration fee of 500€ will be paid by the selected candidate upon confirmation of his/her participation.
Information for participating institutions
Please Click here for information about how to participate in the programme as a host institution.
Applications must be sent to email@example.com